Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Another Day In Zhengzhou

Well we are on day 4 in Zhengzhou.  Not a lot to do here.  It is very hot!  Yesterday we went to the registration office (this is where we got Grace yesterday), but today we went to finalize paperwork and legally become her parents.  I was nervous that it would bring back the memory of her nanny leaving her since she had a hard time initially, but she did fine.  Are you ready for this...we are standing there waiting on the Chinese official to call her name "Zhao Xin Yao"  - I know it well now!  When this is done, they hand you the legal adoption document and you take a photo with your child, the document the Chinese official and in that moment we would become Grace's mommy and daddy legally.  My emotions were rising as names were called....I was holding Grace (okay I am crying again).  All of sudden (she has not ever done this before to us), she grabs both my cheeks with her hands, opens her mouth wide and kisses me right on the mouth and says momma and then hugs my neck.  I was toast, then...they call our name ....it was as if she was saying in her little way I love you mommy.  Then  Guy said what about me can I have a kiss and she gave him one too.  The highlight of my day!
 
From there we went to the notary office and finalized the last leg of paperwork for the day.  It was on the 6th floor - lots of stairs to climb.  No ac anywhere except hotel so was hot!    Came back for lunch and then Grace and I napped as did Kelly and Lily.  The guys went shopping for a few things we needed.
 
Not much on the selection of foods, we chose the hotel again, and had hamburgers.  Afterwords we had a party in our hall with the kids, there were about 5 of them playing.  Lily was there and 2 of Grace's friends from The Angel House.  One of them really struggling so pray for her and her parents.  They are strong Christians but really need strength from God  and their little girl to bond.  Their daughter is really grieving.  But when she saw Grace who is known at Angel House as Yao Yao (pronounced Yow Yow) she called her name and laughed.  She even gave her a big kiss when she left.  Teagan the other little one lights up when she sees  Grace.  Grace seems to be the one who "takes care of, looks after them" she hears them cry and she watches and wants to console them.  Teagan is doing great too. 
 
Some things about Grace
  • Grace's personality is a trip! 
  • She loves to run from you and see if you can catch her. 
  •  Her laugh is contagious. 
  • She is silly and other parents have said she must have been the life of the party. 
  • She is very smart too, she seems more interested in figuring out the toys and how the work then playing with them. 
  • She repeats words when I say them or copies the things I do. 
  • She loves to take her shoes off and have you put back on
  • She loves scrambled eggs and watermelon and M&Ms and chocolate.  Have to leave them read to keep her from finding snacks and have to hide the M&Ms
  •  She is going to love Molly and Hunter (our dog and cat) because she loves those photos in her book. 
  •  She grabs the boys faces on the screen when we skype them. 
  • She waves bye-bye
  • She blows kisses and face plants big ones on your face with wide open mouth
  • she says momma and papa( for daddy)
  • She is very possessive of her mommy.  Lily ran to me and jumped in my lap.  Grace ran over and said no-no and pushed her away and sat in my lap and said momma.  Too funny! Lily didn't miss a beat - she just did it again!
  • she gives great laugh
  • SHE IS OURS!

Today is a free day.  We had breakfast and kind of chilled at hotel. Grace fell asleep on my shoulder while I was chatting with another mom, so when she wakes we will go down for lunch and see what we can find to do.  It is so hot out there not sure if we will venture down to the park, and it is not a real safe thing walking around here, traffic is insane!  She loves it outside, though she is sweating and we feel like we are gonna die!  May try out the pool.   Check in more later...

 

Enjoy the photos

 

Oh and keep praying for my boys, especially Jonathon as it is hard to be away from each other! 

 

P.S.  Your posts melt my heart, I weep as I write them.  Thanks for loving us so much!


6 comments:

  1. My heart melted as I read your post. How perfect to get a kiss from your girl as she "officially" becomes your daughter! Congratulations!
    Stacy (CCAIWCP)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just sitting here with chills running all over me as I read your words and look at the pictures. How precious Grace is!!! How wonderful you and Guy are!!! And, How Awesome Is Our God!!!!
    Much Love,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dawn, If you are looking at the visitor list & it says from Hilton Head, it's me. We are on vacation but I have checked in several times. Since we were on the bus together and you rec'ed notification, I have not stopped thinking about your amazing journey. The updates and pictures are just breath taking!!! For her to bond to you so quickly is AMAZING and just what you needed. These children will never, ever understand the lengths your family had gone thru to bring her home. I don't even understand all my parents went thru and you know what, I don't even care. It's because they LOVE me. I am sooo intrigued by your journey and pray this life changing experience is everything you want and pray for a safe return home!! Christy Smith

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only God could have chosen a little girl who sounds soo much like you!!! It's amazing how well she has already bonded with you and Guy. Only God!! I love hearing about everything & can't wait til you get home. Bay has been checking out the post too. Love you guys.
    Michelle Meeks

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW God has His hand all over this journey, I am crying as I read this update so I know you melted when she said Momma at that time what a gift you have been given and that she was chosen especially for you. With the personality profile that you have listed she sounds like you all over. Bless all of you on the rest of your journey and your time together bonding. I can't wait to see her and hear more and more about her. Love you all,
    Missy Strayer

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dawn,
    Grace looks wonderful and happy. I recognize that watermelon ball in the playroom. She's beautiful.

    Melissa in Clt

    ReplyDelete