Friday, June 25, 2010

Our First Day In Beijing

 
Well today we started out with a good "American" breakfast at the hotel.  Of course there were things on the buffet I wasn't eating but lots I could.  All good here until about end of my meal when I heard a man hock up something, I thought I know that was not what I think it was, of course automatic reaction was to turn my head...mistake ...I will save the details but I began to gag and my meal was done from that point.
 
 
Then we went to the Forbidden City and Tienanmen Square.  Was a little serial because I have pictures of Grace that were taken there.  Lots of walking and very hot, but interesting information on the culture and history of the Chinese dynasty.  Okay and yes it is true it is a rare thing to find a bathroom as we know it.  The bathrooms do NOT have commodes or toilet paper.  So best bring your own TP and the bathroom is a "squatty potty" basically a hole in the ground that you squat over. Ok yes I went in and thought I could use it but the "femine" products laying face up in there about caused me to puke.  I couldn't' go through with it.  I tried another stall and even worse, not only femine products but also yes someone had left "number 2" I thought you have got to be kidding me.  I was holding out for door #3  - yes I managed to pull it off so I could say I experienced it, but about slid across the floor in the urine, the squatty potty is not for us American women I will say that.   Gross I know, but wanted you to feel like part of the experience.
 
Then off to lunch.  My stomach was rocking about the time we got on the bus and I was lucky the bathroom there had a commode and TP-the Lord was watching out for me there big time!  I took pepto and just stuck to rice and sipped a diet coke, or Coke Lite here.  I was proud of Guy he did better here at eating some of the foods.
 
Then we went by the silk factory and learned about how they make  silk  and could shop.  It was interesting but I did not purchase anything, waiting for Guangzhou.
 
Last stop, Hutong.  We did these bike rides.  The man drives a drawn buggy on a bike threw an area of town.  Got off for two stops along the way.  One a popular hangout - clubs and so forth people hang out at during the evening.  Also toured a home. 
 
Ended our evening with meal at Pizza Hut..stuck to the cheese pizza.
 
Tomorrow we go jade shop, Great Wall of China and an acrobat show.  More details on that tomorrow...pray for settled belly.
 
3 more days til we meet our Grace!


No comments:

Post a Comment