Thursday, February 14, 2013

A Simple Feather - A Word of Encouragment

I wrote devotions periodically along with other members of our ministry team.  We publish two a month.  I thought I would share the one here that I wrote this month.  I pray it encourages you.  If you enjoy it you can go to our website at

http://oaksofrighteousnessblog.wordpress.com/2013/02/06/a-simple-feather/

and click follow and have devotions from our team emailed to you twice a month.


A Simple Feather
By: Dawn Fisher
Psalm 91:4 I will cover you with my feathers, under my wing you will find refuge and your faith will become your shield and your rampart.
It was a brisk fall morning as I headed out for a run.  For me, this was a time of worship and prayer.  Sometimes I had my iPod cranked up and had  to contain my worship as I ran, so I didn’t appear too foolish to those that saw me and so I wouldn’t fall on my face.  This day however, the worship music was on softly and my heart was heavy. I began to pour out my pain before God.  At this time, I was a mother to three boys and my home was filled with what seemed like constant bickering with each other and utter disrespect to me and my husband.  I felt beaten down.  I wondered how many other moms’ felt this way?
I began to pray. “God I cried out, I am so stressed out and wound so tight with all the tension in my life.  I have blown my top more times than I would like to admit.  Why can’t I be patient like you Lord?  I try to and I want to, yet I fail. Will I ever get it right?”
As I was praying a song came on my IPod that spoke of God’s constant, unending love, and how his love never fails and never fades.   It doesn’t matter if we get it right or wrong, succeed or fail, his love is the same.  Really let that penetrate your heart. It struck every cord in mine.   He loves us even when we don’t love ourselves.
Then right in front of me, down from the sky, came a single white feather.  I couldn’t believe it. As I ran, I caught it in my hand.  I looked around, no other feathers, nothing else floating through the sky, no birds.  God quickened my spirit to:
Psalm 91:4 I will cover you with my feathers, under my wings you will find refuge and your faith will become your shield and your rampart. 
I was overwhelmed.   I think He was saying to me that day and wants to say to us mothers and women, who are trying so hard to get it right every day as we juggle all the balls in the air, we need to cut ourselves a little slack.  I felt the Lord go on to say, in this season, I have allowed some of this to go with you. I know it is hard, just as with Job, but it isn’t because I don’t love you, it is because I do. Ladies, He is refining us for what He needs for us to do for Him.  But, we need to remember this verse from Psalm 91:4 and hold it close to our hearts.  He will be covering each of us the whole time. Never think He has abandoned you.  When you feel like you can’t take it any longer, go to Him for He is your safe place, your refuge.  He will never leave you or forsake you even in the midst of the storm.  Your faith is increasing in this.  Hold on to Him tight and He promises to hold on to you. In this place, your faith, dear one, is going to be your rampart, which literally means encircle. It will encircle you, protect you, and it will be your shield for the battle. You will overcome it and be stronger for you are His warrior princesses and in you our God is well pleased.
Prayer: God as we try to honor you in all things, we fall short, we miss it, we mess up as your daughters.  Lord we are hard on ourselves and we carry the weight of the responsibility you have given us as mothers.  We are blessed and we are thankful and we give you praise for our children.  Yet God we need you, we need you every day Lord to strengthen us, equip us and help us love our children well for you.  Lord thank you that you are not surprised by any of this, that you know this a tough job. That you know our hearts and you love us despite our scrapped up knees from all the times we fall.  Thank you God for being there for us every step of the way. Thank you that you are our refuge and that you cover us and build our faith.  In Jesus Name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment