Thursday, February 21, 2013

Olivia's Gotcha Day Looked a Little Something Like This...

We had a great time celebrating Olivia's gotcha day.  One year ago we met our beautiful daughter Olivia.  She was a quiet, scared little girl, but very brave.  I remember her biting that bottom lip to keep form crying.  She was a daddy's girl no doubt.  She let me care for her but the love and affection was only shared with her daddy.  This was hard for me and made our bonding take longer than I would have liked.  I wanted to wrap my arms around her day one but she did not want that and I had to let go. It was hard because for Grace our bond was instant!  She embraced me very quickly and was a free spirit and a lot of fun.  Olivia had a more quiet demeanor and was more reserved. Sweet but shy.  She started to come alive quickly but wanted her daddy within eye if not arms length.  She was older and who knows what this little girl had going through her mind.  I had 9 months to fall in love with her she didn't.  I had to learn to love her from a distance and give her what she would allow.  When she was ready to give me love honestly I was resentful.  It was not intentional. I wanted to love her but my heart was hard.  I hated myself for this. I prayed God would help me love her.  She deserved my love.  I knew she was my daughter and loved her so much  before I met her.  I wanted to love her like this now.  We have made huge strides.  Olivia is now as much a momma's girl as a daddy's  - maybe even more of a momma's girl.  There was a transition in a good way when she was in the hospital and it was me she wanted by her side.  It was she and I for 5 days.  We are still not there yet. Olivia is there.  She loves me with all of her heart. She is a gem really. My heart is softening and I pray soon I will be head over heels in love with her.  I love her don't get me wrong and would lay my life down for her. She is so loveable.  She is so innocent, so pure, so full of joy.  She brings life and light into a room.  She has a heart that is full of love and care.  She would give her last toy or her last dollar away.  She has a servant's heart.  She is beautiful inside and out.  Right now  I choose to love and love her well and one day  I know I won't be able help myself but fall on my face in love with her. I'm just keeping it real, there is no magic formula in adoption, you have no idea how the child or you will react, you have to choose love and offer yourself and your child grace along the way.  I am so honored to be her mommy and God is teaching me so much through Olivia. 
 
So Tuesday her teacher let me come to the class and read a book about "gotcha day" and then share a video I made of Olivia and her life in China, her gotcha day and her first year home (I will post that soon) and then I brought Chinese donuts (those were a huge hit!). Olivia loved feeling so special. 
 
On her gotcha day she woke to a balloon - her favorite Tinker bell and tulips - her favorite color pink of course. She was so excited and kept saying it's my gotcha day!
 
 
 
We had some leftover Chinese donuts so we had one for breakfast - why not its a special day!
 
And then we headed to Monkey Joes with her cousins for some fun!






When daddy got home she got a special gift, a new bead for her Pandora bracelet we are building for when she is a bit older.  This time she got a crown since she adores princesses!

 
This one got out of order, but the girls were so excited when they saw Monkey Joe!

We closed our day out with take out Chinese for dinner, some books on adoption day and once again watching her video of the past year - a journey engraved in our hearts.  Thank you God for Olivia and the joy you have brought us in her.  Thank you for your heart for the orphan and for the honor to obey the call to touch and change a life.  In return I am far more blessed than I ever dreamed!  Happy Gotcha Day Olivia Hope-Gao Fisher.  We love you!

1 comment: