Sunday, February 19, 2012

Our Visit to Angel House

I can not begin to express what the visit to Angel House was like for us. It far exceeded any expectations I had. I wish every adoptive family could experience this. I am so humbled and thankful for the this opportunity and the lives of the men and women who have devoted their lives to helping the helpless. With that said here is a little about our experience.

We walked in to a high rise apartment building in less than what our society would call livable but yet was Grace's home for almost 2 years. We took the elevator to the 23rd floor of the 25 story apartment building. I expected to walk in and observe life as usual their and to introduce myself and thank them. But instead when we walked in the apartment they were waiting on us, 15-20 women who had at one time cared for our daughter with cell phones snapping photos and large professional cameras and even a professional movie camera to capture it all. For 2-1/2 hours all eyes (tears full) were on our daughter! They were overwhelmed with her beauty, how much she had grown, changed, how smart she was and how happy!

I was so glad that after Grace settled from the shock of all the attention she embraced it and actually let these women and men who loved her so much embrace her. No child adopted from Angel House has ever come back to visit - Grace was the first. They even got her a cake and sang to her.

I was told stories of her life before and after Angel House and as I shed tears of pain for the tough , horrid beginning that almost robbed my daughter her life I gave praise for these women how took a chance on her and loved her and cared for her and because of them today and what they did for her I get to call Grace my daughter.

Enjoy some photos of our visit. The photo above one of the nannies pulled of the wall of Grace that still hung there and showed Grace. I am having trouble putting captions. So a few photos below I want to comment on. The first closeup photo with woman and Grace is Eva. Eva is the director of Angels Wing and our angel! The little boy with Grace walking around carrying her picture is a 3 year old orphan boy, they are having a hard time finding him a family. He is so sweet, smart, his walking is issue, but he is doing well and walking by himself now. The man in the photo with Grace is one that also was there with Grace for 2 years and followed her around the whole time with a camera, playing with and smiling with pure joy. He asked can I just hug her....melt your heart right? Holding her and Grace hugging his neck, priceless. The photo of Grace looking out the window took me back, I have one of her doing this when she lived there. The picture in the room with the cribs - Eva is showing Grace, remember where you slept - crib in the corner with flowers over her bed. The women where hanging out there 23rd floor window as we left saying good bye. what a wonderful memory.























3 comments:

  1. So glad you posted pictures! I was toast after we skyed yesterday! I can't wait to see Olivia tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow-- so neat to see that come full circle-- esp for the workers- for them to see physical proof that what they do makes a difference..

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome experience. I can't wait to see Olivia, thank you for letting me be a part of this experience. Lov you all. Missy

    ReplyDelete